Dining Out Together
Facilitator: Daphne Berkovi – book through leader
A new group for all members, whether single or in couples, meeting monthly for lunch at a local venue, with discussion of a topical theme. If you would like to be involved in planning our lunches, please contact Daphne Berkovi.
Our next lunch will be held on
Sunday 10 February 2019 – 12:15 at
Stephens House, East End Road, Finchley, N3 3QUE
Leader: Shirley Lal
Learn and enjoy the delights of North Indian cuisine in a friendly atmosphere in the leader’s home.
The programme starts with vegetarian dishes and will develop as the term unfolds. Ingredients will be provided to members at cost.
- Date: Resuming on Tuesday 15 January 2019 – Cancelled
- When: Tuesdays, 11.30 am — 1.00 pm followed by lunch!
- Location: Leader’s home, NW11 6DJ
- Frequency: Every two weeks
- Charges: A nominal contribution of £5 – £7 for ingredients
- Number of places: 5 — please contact leader first
Leader: Elizabeth Alcock
This group will depend on the weather and Blackthorn! We will gather sloes to freeze at home first. The following week we will use them to make sloe gin, ready for the winter festivals. Sloe gin needs a minimum of 6 weeks to mature — longer if possible. Recipe and materials list will be provided in advance.
The initial meeting in my kitchen will be devoted to making limoncello if the sloes aren’t ready. Gathering the sloes will depend on the fruit and the weather, but the weekend is usually quieter.
Our home, you may like to know, is a non-Kosher, wheat- & nut-eating household so you are welcome to bring your own supplies if you need them. We also have a cat!
- Next date: Tuesday 23 October 2018
- When: 6.30 – 9.00 pm
- Location: Leader’s home, N3 3HB
- Frequency: Annually (two sessions a fortnight apart)
- Charges: A nominal contribution of £2
- Number of places: 5 – please contact leader first
Leader: Valerie Cowan assisted by Roger Cookson
Do you enjoy wine and want to learn more about it in a relaxed and informal way? Then join our Wine Appreciation group and improve your knowledge.
You will taste and discuss a selection of wines under the guidance of Valerie Cowan, an experienced wine educator. Valerie has a Wine Diploma and is a member of the Association of Wine Educators. She has taught at The Institute and Morley College and currently runs the City Lit Wine Club in Covent Garden. Tasting sheets, glasses, and water will be provided (not to mention a selection of wines!)
The programme for 2018/19 includes an introduction to wine tasting and viniculture; unusual wines, and wines from around the world. Occasional outings are planned, such as the one we made to Denbies Vineyard in Surrey on a glorious September day.
- Start date: Resumes 22 October 2018
- When: Fourth Monday of each month 2.30 pm – 4.00 pm
- Location: Alyth Synagogue, Alyth Gardens, NW11 7EN
- Charges: £7.50 per person per session to include wines, cheese & biscuits
- Number of places: 20
- Group currently full with Waiting List in operation.
Yeast Cookery & Pastry Making
Leader: Mary Whiting
Informal demonstration plus hands-on cooking sessions of some basic skills such as making bread, pastry, scones, mayonnaise, etc. Not a course as such, but one-off sessions. Dates and times to be arranged between the group leader and participants.
- When: By arrangement
- Location: Leader’s home, NW11 6LT
- Charges: Cost of ingredients
- Equipment: Leader will provide
- Number of places: 3